Template/Character Help

You can post of any kind of Ultima Online chit-chat here
Forum rules
Please remember to be polite and respectful to staff and other users.
Spammers: Kindly do not post spam on our forums. It is rude and pointless. Thank you.
clowncheeks

Template/Character Help

Postby clowncheeks » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:15 am

Hello UOSP community,

I was thinking about an alternative/substitute for a PvM tamer...the idea is that I'd like to have a character to have access to loot that's a little better than what I could get on a dexxer. I also just want to try something new since I've had a few tamers before on other shards. I was thinking about having a dungeon crawler in the form of a stealthy lockpicker that could open locked chests and such with the hopes of getting things like magic reflect and teleport items, rares, and high end weapons etc.

I suppose my first question is this: does high end loot as mentioned above tend to populate itself within chests and such that are found in the depths of Sosaria's menacing dungeons? Or is there nothing good enough to be had considering that I'll need to use one of my 3 character slots to access this locked-away loot?

If so, maybe you all could offer me a little guidance on how to build a character that would capitalize on such loot locked in these chests. I assume that I'll need lockpicking primarily, with other skills geared towards getting in and out of these dangerous areas somewhat safely. I've never made a character like this so my proposed build below may be off. Let me know what you think! Any thoughts/comments/recommendations are graciously accepted!

Lockpicking
Magery
Meditation
Evaluating Intelligence
Wrestling
Hiding
Stealth

I'm aware there's no resisting spells here. I'm figuring that I won't use it so much since I'll be stealthed most of the time, ideally. I have wrestling in case I get pk'd and have to dodge a spear or hally hit in order to successfully recall away to safety. Eval could also maybe be dropped but being able to cast effective EVs might come in handy. What do you all think? Would musicianship + provo be better in place of perhaps meditation, eval, or wrestle? Is hiding/stealth as necessary as I believe it to be?

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks so much.

David
Site Admin

Re: Template/Character Help

Postby David » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:49 am

Dungeon chest loot is pretty good. Magic jewellery isn't finished yet but teleport rings do drop and invis will follow shortly. We have level 1 - 5 dungeon chests here. Level 5 requires GM Lockpicking. Also you can't just stealth one step back here because the chest will still kill you! So you need Remove Trap also really although I've seen some people do it without but personally I don't want to run half way across the room and telekinesis the chest and then run back to loot it. It's quite hard now, but when the shard is more populated it's not really going to be feasible. You can train to 97.0 on GM crafted locks, but then you will need to do the rest on level 4 chests in dungeons. Do Lockpicking before detect hidden because detect gives a bonus to Lockpicking and you want to make it hard in order to gain faster. Detect gives you the bonus required to open level 4 chests at 97 Lockpicking

My template is
Hiding
Stealth
Lockpicking
Detect hidden
Remove trap
Magery
Item ID

I don't fight things down there normally so I don't need eval or med. It's just to gate me and my loot out. I also find an ethereal mount a very useful tool as it allows you to travel a lot faster. Remember you can't recall in to chests here or even gate in.

Alternatives for me are to drop Item ID for meditation or eval int or what I am about to do now which is Cartography so I can also take in surface treasure hunting. If you were brave and dumped Remove Trap you could perhaps put Fishing in there and do MiBs too although it is likely you would need help killing the mobs.

I've not done a Provo toon here so I'm not sure how effective that is, but my feelings on Provo from other shards, including OSI Siege Perilous, are that it takes a long time for most mobs to die. Also on real Siege Perilous many of the harder mobs are not provokable anyway. I am not sure where we are going with that skill. I do feel that it has limited worth though. Perhaps someone who has tried it here can give their input?

clowncheeks

Postby clowncheeks » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:58 pm

Okay great, you definitely gave me some good things to consider there. I've never had this type of character before so lots of it was new information for me. I really like the idea of making room for cartography. I see how telekinesis can be used instead of remove trap, but I still see it as somewhat useful. But why do you run item ID? I know that on this server ID wands don't drop on liches etc, but considering the purple statues and trash program for undesired items I feel this makes ID wands even easier than on OSI. I have enough points to buy about 25 wands at the moment. This is just from tossing my underpowered magic items into the barrel. But yeah I like the idea of cartography, but I'll likely drop item ID for it.

The issue for me is that I have no idea how to do this stuff...like how cartography works, how to raise it, how to know what maps are what level. Or even how to "do" a T-map. Are there any guides on this? I'm also anticipating it being dreadfully difficult to the find someone selling the GM locked boxes. These are made through carpentry, right? Any GM carpenters selling their wares?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:16 pm

My first toon on any shard since I started playing freeshards is a lockpicker. I had one on Atlantic and Siege Perilous back in 1998-2001 and on Siege Perilous where you couldn't sell anything, I pulled out 1 million gold one week so that tends to be the way I make my money before I make a tamer. I've always had Item ID on my lockpickers because you are IDing a lot of loot all the time and you burn through ID wands. The recent addition of the ID wand vendor here does make it unnecessary as you pointed out, but I didn't have that luxury when I made this toon over two years ago! Also when I have wands dropping properly on monsters and chests, the wands will likely be removed from the vendor stone. By then they should be in good supply though. Currently they only drop in dungeon chests.

To train Cartography, buy the skill from a map seller so 30+ and then I'm afraid you have to buy blank maps or blank scrolls (I used scrolls this time) and make world maps. You will need a hell of a lot of blanks to get to GM. Mafghine was the last person to do it and I know he spent a fortune on blank scrolls to get to GM.

There are guides out there, but basically you find a map on a monster, you do cartography on it to decode it. You then look up the exact location using this resource: http://uo.stratics.com/thb/info/maparch ... ive1.shtml

There is also a stand-alone program you can run on your PC that does this. So you go to that location with a shovel and a bunch of friends (it's on the UOAM treasure locations as well) and you start digging. If you have no mining skill at all, you must dig on the exact tile to dig up the chest. If you have mining then you can dig a tile or two away, but nobody really has mining on the TH toon these days. So the chest starts appearing and as it gets to the surface a bunch of monsters spawn depending on the map level. You kill the monsters, lockpick and untrap the chest and open it. As you take out look, monsters spawn and you kill them as you go. When you are done, break the chest with an axe to make it disappear or it will sit there for another hour blocking the space.

Here is another great website on the subject
http://www.tukaram.net/uoth.htm

Return to “General UOSP discussion”